March! March was actually really great! I didn’t really have a very strong internet presence last month for several reasons, but life irl was pretty great. The stretch right before spring break is usually the worst. As most teachers will tell you the spring semester is LONG. It’s too long. There is not enough variety in this semester and when you teach seniors I think you feel it even more because these kids are not only done with the school year they are done with high school period. BUT to my kid’s credit this year I have heard minimal utterances of the term “senioritis” even if they have been exhibiting some key symptoms. That time of year is a drag for everyone but that’s part of what makes the break just that much better.
This year I took all of spring break off to just chill and man, that was a good choice. I took both weekends off from ComedySportz and that allowed me to do a few fun and spontaneous things, but also just to actually relax and not have a ‘job’ for a full week.
So in March I:
- Voted in the Super Tuesday primaries! My polling place was actually at my school so I got to vote on my lunch break! Super easy!
- Went to the chiropractor a LOT. Like once a week. Good news: My hips are even now, my back doesn’t hurt all the time, I feel like my arthritis has gotten better but that could be a bunch of things, mostly weather related. Also I love my chiro she’s fantastic and just a super fun and positive person.
- Went to brunch with an even larger group of new and old friends. I love this. I love making friends and I love all the new and wonderful people who have been coming into my life lately.
- Went to Austin twice! Once for a last-minute pop up show that Amanda Palmer put on. It was amazing I loved it! At like 9am on Friday morning (the last day before spring break) she tweeted out that she had a pop up show that night at 8 and at first I was bummed because its in Austin and I’m not and then it hit me. Wait a minute, I’m an adult, I don’t have to do anything on Saturday, it’s spring break, I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT! So I texted my friend Taryn to tell her that a) the show was happening b) we’re going c) I’m buying tickets right now. So I left after school, ate some delicious HopDoddy, and then saw an amazing show. I didn’t make it back home until 2:30 in the morning but it was so worth it!
- I went back to Austin that Wednesday to get tattooed and once again I had a blast. I ate great food I got to see Taryn and ask her to be my bridesmaid AND my artist’s shop is connected to a coffeehouse that was putting on an all day SXSW showcase so I got some free concert jams out of my trip too. Not to mention a very necessary post tattoo cheeseburger from Dirty Martins by campus. SO GOOD.
- We had a birthday sleepover at my house! My friend Ellen’s birthday is two days after mine so we ate a bunch of pizza, dyed her hair blue, watched her favorite movies, and just had a great time. Seriously I have amazing friends. I am so thankful for all of these wonderful women in my life!
- I read three books! A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, Get in Trouble by Kelly Link, and Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Expect a full write-up on those soon but in the mean time you can head over to my goodreads to get an idea of how I felt about them.
- Went on a date to see Ariana Brown and the rest of the UT Spitshine poets as features at Write About Now! I love getting to see local and featured poets there. We’ve only been twice but it’s definitely something we want to keep doing.
- Finally got my macros figured out and made a concrete decision to actively change the way I eat and treat my body. I don’t often do what’s best for my body or myself but I’m learning balance in all things slowly and I’m also learning to better use the tools and resources I already have. So here’s to something!
I may sound a little surprised that March went so well but historically it’s never been a great month for me, it’s usually when I get really low and for some reason or other bad luck follows me this month. While the low part was definitely true this month I definitely feel like I was in control of my surroundings, took care of myself, and most importantly knew this was ramping up and had the foresight to build in a nice long rest period for myself. It was just what I needed and I feel so confident about heading into April now.